Aafat: Web Series Review
Cast: Seema Pahwa, Anshul Chauhan, Pushtiie Shakti, Chitrashi Rawat, Neelam Sivia, Nikita Dutta, Sidharth Bhardwaj.
Director: Shashant Shah.
Language: Hindi, English.
Genre: Comedy, Drama.
Channel: MX Player.
Release Date: 20th February 2019.
Ricky Malhotra, an eligible bachelor, is on the lookout for a suitable bride. Through a marriage agency, Rishtey Farishtey, he is presented with five girls to choose from, Ayesha, Aditi, Faiza, Anu and Titli. Who will he marry?
- Aafat is a story of five girls from Delhi, five different girls, who are trying to overcome the societal norms set for women and live their life as they want. It focuses on issues such as body shaming, women stereotypes, and women divorcees, among many others.
- Women empowerment related content seems to be a go-to for the filmmakers and content creators recently, but Aafat manages to be unique and stand out among them all, with its black humour.
- All the actors, from the five leading ladies to the supporting characters, have done an excellent job at portraying their characters. You can’t help but remember that one Agony Aunt in your life, by watching Ricky’s mother, and scoff at the arrogant and dumb Ricky, who is more beauty and less brain, a spoilt rich brat. Sidharth Bhardwaj has given life to Ricky, with his lively performance.
- Prior to the meeting with girls, Ricky and his mother are given a set of guidelines by which they could judge if the girl is a suitable wife or not. The rules are so cliché and ridiculous, that they will make you laugh at the sardonic reality of it.
- Aafat consists of 5 different stories running along simultaneously, linked together in the main plot of Ricky’s And it is done so seamlessly, that they blend together into one beautiful and bold story, without seeming dismantled.
- The comedy drama is more of an ironical twist to the reality, balancing the quotient of humour and serious, perfectly.
- The episode titles are preceded with a supporting, funny visuals that are refreshing and informative of the episode.
- Bonus points for the subtle yet effective brand integration.
- Not a thing.
An equally entertaining and enlightening show. A must watch.
- Interestingly, Aafat works as an acronym of the five girls’ names: Ayesha, Aditi, Faiza, Anu and Titli.
- Shashant Shah, director, is known for movies like Chalo Dilli, Bajatey Raho, among others. He has also directed Voot’s web series Shaadi Boys.
- Sidharth Bhardwaj will be seen Amazon Prime’s grand web series Made In Heaven; Nikita Dutta will be seen in a pivotal role in ALTBalaji’s upcoming web series Cartel.
Watch The Trailer Here:
Also Read: Period. End of Sentence. : Short Film Review