Abhay: Episode 1 – Bagged and Tagged Web Series Review
Cast: Kunal Kemmu, Elnaaz Norouzi, Deepak Tijori, Sandeepa Dhar, Rituraj Singh, Maninee Mishra, Gopal Singh, Pratyaksh Panwar,
Director: Ken Ghosh & Kookie Gulati.
Genre: Crime, thriller.
Release Date: 7th February 2019.
Abhay, an officer of Special Task Force (STF) is called in to handle the case of two missing children, Raghu and Pooja, with his team, in the Chinthari village of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (UP). This one case proceeds many other cases of missing children, which had been mostly ignored and neglected. Abhay gets into the case, fighting the battle along with his own personal demons.
- Abhay is an intense thriller that keeps you glued to your seat in a focused manner, with its gripping storyline.
- In the first episode, it explores issues such as sexual child abuse and cannibalism, topics seldom covered in Indian entertainment, especially cannibalism.
- The use of gore and graphic scenes is implemented where absolutely necessary, maintaining the balance of the plot, rather than distracting or overwhelming the audience with exuberance/exposure. It explores the spectrum of human emotions, from the darkest, unfathomable desires to the protective, caring nature, in a raw manner.
- Kunal Kemmu plays his character brilliantly- a stick-to-business, paranoid man resulted from the personal and professional experiences. It will be interesting to see his character arc/development over the episodes.
- There are two storylines running simultaneously with one another- one focuses on Abhay’s personal life while the other runs around his professional scene. And both sequences are intertwined perfectly, without blatantly standing apart.
- The introduction score is hauntingly beautiful, creating the perfect base for the show to proceed on.
- The procedural drama follows a dark, somber theme, put forth aptly in the sequences with the cinematography.
- The cliff-hanger at the end makes you want to bash something but also ensures you’ll come back for the second episode because we have to know who’s the woman (Natasha) plaguing Abhay’s nightmares. All in all, brilliant concept execution.
- Apart from Abhay, all the characters can seem quite secondary, too much in the background, failing to establish their presence. We definitely hope that with the arrival of Natasha, that will change.
Abhay is a nice change, with its deeply intense portrayal of human emotions and nature. The crime thriller is definitely worth a watch.
- Abhay marks the debut of three actors in the alluring world of web series- Kunal Kemmu, Sandeepa Dhar and Deepak Tijori.
- Elnaaz Norouzi came to limelight with her character in the widely acclaimed Netflix series Sacred Games, as Zoya Mirza.
- Ken Ghosh has directed a few web series for ALTBalaji such as Dev DD, Haq Se, and XXX: Uncensored.
Watch The Trailer Here:
Also Read: Four More Shots Please!: Web Series Review