Bouma: Short Film Review
Cast: Paran Bandopadhyaya, Rajatava Dutta, Bidita Bag, Chaitali Jana, Sumit Banerjee, Sumit Bhattacharya, Preetam Gangoly.
Director: Debatma Mandal.
Genre: Black Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi.
Release Date: 8 February 2019.
Bouma, set in the 1960s, follows the life of a lady living with her always complaining, always bickering, and always demanding husband Gobindo. However, he soon dies due to cancer. His widowed wife donates his body to a scientist and researcher, and when she visits the scientist to check on his husband’s organs, things take a dark (but hilarious) twist.
- Bidita Bag and Rajatava Dutta have done a pretty convincing job as wife and husband, respectively. Bidita’s character is calm, composed, and patient, while on the contrary, Rajatava Dutta’s character Gobindo is impatient, lethargic, and always complaining. The actors are convincing in their portrayal of these emotions.
- Some of the scenes are just hilarious, despite the grimness, one of them being Gobindo’s dead body lying on the bed with a radio playing positive messages about life and liveliness, and his wife using a stick to check from afar if he’s finally dead.
- The old researcher resembles a crazy scientist who conducts crazy experiments and tests on people, which becomes evident by the near-end when the wife visits his not-so-dead husband at the researcher’s ‘laboratory’.
- The twist at the end comes as sweet justice for the wife, who is finally free to do what she wants, and gets her revenge on him by dancing, smoking, drinking, and showing off her freedom.
- The background music is proper and apt and is effective in setting the somewhat-comical mood of the short film right from its beginning.
- There’s nothing wrong with the short film.
This simple and sweet tale is an unusual blend of subtlety, sci-fi, and dark comedy.
- Bidita Bag has worked in films like Mukti, Icche, From Sydney with Love, Kagojer Nouka, Bhaunri, Babumoshai Bandookbaaz, etc.
- Rajatava Dutta is known for his negative roles in films like Boss, Barud, Paglu, Yuddho, Challenge, Rasta, among others.
Short Film Link: https://www.voot.com/shows/shortcuts/1/749303/bouma/750994
Also Read: Joyride: Short Film Review