Breathe : Web Series Review
Cast: R Madhavan, Amit Sadh, Sapna Pabbi, Hrishikesh Joshi, Nina Kulkarni, Atharva Vishwakarma, Shriswara
Director: Mayank Sharma
Language: Hindi, English
Genre: Thriller, Murder Mystery
Channel: Amazon Prime Video India
Release Date: 26 January 2018
Synopsis: Danny Mascarenhas, a football coach is a single father to 6-year-old son Josh who is suffering from a congenital lung disorder that gives him only a few months to live. Since the list of lung donor recipients is too long for Josh to make it, a desperate Danny sets out to cleverly plan multiple murders of the lung donors in order to help Josh survive. Will he be caught by ACP Kabir Sawant who has a sharp eye on his actions?
- Breathe stands out as a palate cleanser of sorts for R Madhavan’s screen appearances. In a never-seen-before avatar, Maddy packs a punch in essaying Danny, a white collared man by the day and a menacing coldblooded killer by night. Amit Sadh too, surprises as the disconsolate alcoholic ACP Kabir with his convincing eyes. The entire supporting cast, featuring notable players of their game, is competent in essaying their roles to the tee.
- A thriller so riveting in design and clever in its screenplay, you’ll find it hard to resist watching the entire series in one go.
- The background score and the keen, detailed cinematography deserve a mention for giving us a peek into the characters’ psyche.
- The only weak corner in the entire narrative is the believability quotient of it all. To imagine a soft-spoken and revered Danny as the no-nonsense cold-blooded killer is a task.
- The way Kabir joins the scattered pieces of the puzzle to lead him to the big fish is developed rather immaturely. Hence clichés laced with convenience play a huge part in carrying the story forward.
- The climax to haven’t done justice to the tall premise and the nail-biting build up in its previous episodes.
While the climax falls flat and could mean dismay for a few, Breathe web series is worth giving a shot for its engaging performances and a fresh storyline.
- The project is Helmed by debutant director Mayank Sharma who also happens to its writer. He has previously worked as an AD in Table No. 21 and Chashme Baddoor. This is the first time R Madhavan and Amit Sadh foray into the web space. A lot of the scenes have been inspired by the famous series ‘Breaking Bad.
Also Read: Flames: Web Series Review