Cakewalk: Short Film Review
Cast: Esha Deol Takhtani, Tarun Malhotra, Anindita Bose, Siddhartha Chatterjee,
Director: Ram Kamal Mukherjee, Abhra Chakraborty.
Release Date: 17 February 2019.
Synopsis: Cakewalk revolves around Chef Shilpa Sen, a MasterChef runner-up who is struggling to balance her work and paying her bills. She gets an opportunity to bake a cake for a high-profile couple celebrating their anniversary, and that leads to Shilpa crossing paths with her ex-husband.
- Esha Deol Takhtani does an excellent job in her role as Shilpa, throughout the short film. She is efficient in her portrayal of the various emotions that the character goes through in different scenes, and her mannerisms that resemble an actual chef really bring the character to life. Tarun Malhotra and Anindita Bose, too, have amazing chemistry in the screen space they get together.
- The way the short film covers the two polar aspects of Shilpa’s personality – the typical housewife in the past, and career-oriented independent chef in the present – as well as the order in which these aspects of her life have been arranged to create a better impact than it would have if the order were chronologically linear. It is one of the strengths of the short film.
- Within just 25 minutes, a lot is said and a lot is shown. You learn about Shilpa’s marriage and her divorce, her struggle towards fulfilling her dreams, her standing as a runner-up in MasterChef, as well as her current financial problems. Life has not been a cakewalk for her, and it is palpably shown here.
- The cinematography, including the close-up shots, is greatly done, and is an icing on the cake. It adds to and complements Esha’s acting chops in the short film, by depicting her as a chef who is happy and content with her work, despite the obvious struggles she has gone and is going through.
- The background music goes well with the scenes, and Rupali Jagga’s voice gives it a light-hearted feel, thereby giving a balance to the otherwise emotionally-heavy short film.
- The short film also gives off the message that the world doesn’t end if you lose. Rather, it is up to you to make better of your life and rise up from the ashes like a phoenix.
- Although it feels that the short film could’ve been slightly longer, certain scenes weren’t really required, and did not add much to the storyline. Other than that, there’s no reason you should miss this one!
Cakewalk is a well-baked short film that makes for a delicious watch!
- Ram Kamal Mukherjee, the director of this short film, has written an unofficial biography on Esha Deol’s mother, Hema Malini. The biography is titled ‘Hema Malini – Diva Unveiled’.
- Esha Deol has worked in films like Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe, Na Tum Jaano Na Hum, LOC Kargil, Dhoom, No Entry, and Ankahee, among various others.
Short Film Link: https://www.voot.com/movie/cakewalk/753830
Also Read: Fool For Love: Short Film Review