Chacha and Cheetah’s Trip: Short Film Review
Cast: Ayush Saini, Niteesh Wadhwa, Vijay Maurya, Rishina Kandhari, Karan Chavan.
Director: Yatharth Awasthi.
Language: Hindi, English.
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Surrealism.
Release Date: 8 February 2019.
Synopsis: Chacha and Cheetah, two weed addicts, after trying the legendary Windmill Joint, decide to go out to score some more marijuana, and end up on a hilarious and trippy adventure that takes them to a different destination altogether.
- The short film takes you on a trippy journey with Chacha and Cheetah, two characters with only one motive – to smoke some good weed and be happy. It is an entire journey, with an inciting incident, confusion, and hurdles on the way, helpers, and a twist at the end.
- ‘Chacha and Cheetah’s Trip’ is a very light-hearted, comical, and entertaining story, and makes for a humorous watch that will take you out of your life’s stresses momentarily. The background music and the songs seem to fit pretty well in the short film.
- The characters are something different altogether and their personalities (and names) will bring a chuckle out of you – Maala Aunty, the dealer Babloo Escobar (a hilarious take on Pablo Escobar), the two foreigners ‘Mary’ and ‘Jane’ (get it?), and the like.
- The lead actors, Ayush Saini, and Niteesh Wadhwa have done a great job in their respective roles. Babloo Escobar, played by Vijay Maurya, to delivers his lines well, filled with the necessary humor.
- The one-liners are extremely witty, both spoken as dialogues and written on walls and autos. There are several ‘Easter eggs’ hidden throughout the short film; the more you focus, the more you’ll come to notice.
- There are several elements of surrealism sprinkled throughout the short film. One that comes to stand out is The Statue of Liberty visible from the Marine Drive area. Others include Maala Aunty, the drive after smoking, the sets, and more, including the surprising twist at the end.
- There’s nothing wrong with the short film, other than the fact that it unintentionally (despite the warning at the start) seems to promote consumption of Marijuana by presenting it as a ‘fun’ and ‘cool’ thing to use.
Chacha and Cheetah’s Trip short film is hilarious and full of wittiness that fits in pretty well with the theme of the storyline.
- Director Yatharth Awasthi has worked on the directorial team of films like Kidnap, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Prague, Fukrey Returns, among others.
Also Read: Ishq Ki Googly: Short Film Review