Detour: Short Film Review
Cast: Sayani Gupta & Vikrant Massey.
Director: Sumi Mathai.
Language: Hindi, English.
Channel: Pocket Films (YouTube).
Release Date: 11th December 2018.
Aarav (an investment banker) and Nimisha (a writer), by a twist of technology and fate, share a cab ride home in the midnight Mumbai. Mutual taste in music bands these two strangers into an interesting conversation, emphasizing how two people can form a beautiful connection, without any strings.
- Detour is a slice-of-life drama that highlights the intimacy of a connection two strangers can share through a simple conversation.
- An introspective and tranquil piece, Vikrant Massey and Sayani Gupta do a commendable job, bringing their characters to life with their ace performance.
- The film communicates the essentials of life: how we forget to enjoy the small moments in search of monumental joys and 2., not all conversations need to be personal in order to be great- we often confuse intimacy with personal attachment. It’s important to take a detour from the routine to take things into perspective.
- Hats off to Sumi Mathai for communicating the simple message in an astonishingly beautiful and somber way, and deviating the ending from being cliché.
- Not a single thing to keep you from watching it.
- Detour is a mesmerizing piece of simplistic storytelling, saying a lot in little.
- Detour won an award for Excellence in Digital Content Special Mention at the 19th Jio MAMI film festival.
- Sayani Gupta is a familiar face on digital; she has worked in various short films and was also seen in web series’ such as Viu’s Kaushiki and Amazon Prime’s Inside Edge. She will also be seen in the upcoming Prime original Four More Shots Please, along with Bani J, Maanvi Gagroo, and Kirti Kulhari.
- Vikrant Massey took the web entertainment by storm with his two back to back extraordinary characters in ALTBalaji’s Broken But Beautiful and Amazon Prime’s Mirzapur.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: My Pie In The Sky: Short Film Review