Flip: Web Series Review
Cast: Ranvir Shorey, Shruti Marathe, Arjun Mathur, Shweta Basu Prasad, Shweta Gulati, Pallavi Batra, Sarang Sathaye, Jim Sarbh, Viraf Patel, Sandeepa Dhar, Sheetal Menon, Naman Shaw, Aditi Vasudev, Sapna Bhavnani, Bikramjeet Malik, Karthik Krishnan, Rio Kapadia, Kritika Avasthi, Ruchi Malviya.
Director: Bejoy Nambiar, Aman Sachdeva.
Language: Hindi, English.
Channel: Eros Now.
Release Date: 23rd March 2019.
An anthology of 4 stories that will leave you baffled, thrilled and stunned to your core. Stories of a dystopian world, a bully, an out-of-the-world massage, and a curse- get ready to be mind-flipped.
- Bejoy Nambiar has created a masterpiece with Flip. Four stories that explore the darkest and deepest recesses of humanity and human mind, Flip is a collection of stories that revolve around a switch that takes place in everyone’s lives, a switch that turns their life upside down. Fans of Black Mirror, you’ll get a real kick out of Flip, because it’s the best sci-fi, drama thriller on the web, in India.
- Every story defers from the previous- a beautiful and ugly dystopian world of human hunting (The Hunt), a suppressed man (Bully), a bizarre massage facility (Massage), and a guy blessed with a family curse (Happy Birthday). With a touch of thrill, each story has you on edge from the beginning till the very end, leaving you in shock, long after they are over.
- Flip has unity in its diversity- it remains true to its title by introducing that one twist in every episode, that one turning point, that will turn the characters’, and the viewers lives upside down. It explores human emotions such as love, superstition, friendship, fear, betrayal, helplessness, vanity, cold-bloodedness, wisdom, in its most raw form.
- The four main characters of our stories- the ones who are affected- Sheetal Menon, Ranvir Shorey, Jim Sarbh, and Arjun Mathur are spectacular, a vision, in their respective roles. They portray the two opposing ends of a personality with such perfection and candour, making the characters alive in the story and through the screen. The supporting characters are equally, if not more so, important as they are the ones who push these four heroes, or villains, to and over the brink.
- Flip not only has a good story, but also brilliant execution. The visuals and background music are perfectly synced with each plotline, from the beginning to the end. From the distorted, psychedelic visuals in the opening credits, accompanied by an equally hypnotic background score, to the sprawling vistas in The Hunt and the turbulent, mysterious atmosphere of Happy Birthday, every sequence and background music, or the lack thereof, elevates the story to a new height. It follows a common dark and dreary theme, transforming the series into a noir.
- Apart from the fact that it seems to be over too soon, there’s nothing stopping you from watching this series. Definitely, definitely worth a watch.
Flip justifies its title to the fullest, delivering stories that are as crazy, weird and mind-flipping as they can get. Worth a watch.
- Flip is Bejoy Nambiar’s first web series; he has previously worked on web for ZEE5, directing the feature film, Dobaara.
- Aman Sachdeva, who has directed the last episode, Happy Birthday of Flip, is a National Award Winning Director, and this marks his debut in the Web Entertainment.
Watch The Trailer Here:
Also Read: Hey Prabhu!: Web Series Review