Grey: Short Film Review
Cast: Brijendra Kala, Abhiroop.
Director: Priya Aven.
Language: Hindi, English.
Genre: Drama, Crime, Mystery.
Release Date: 15 February 2019.
Synopsis: Vilky is an autistic man who is being investigated by a detective for the murder of his wife. He has only two companions left with him after his wife’s death – a cat and a parrot. Will Vilky be blamed without investigation just for the case to be shut? Will the detective be able to solve the case?
- The concept of the short film is unique, and quite different in its approach, which makes it an interesting watch. The setting makes it distinctive compared to other murder mysteries.
- Abhiroop does an amazing job at portraying Vilky, and efficiently expresses the plethora of emotions required for his scenes. The character of Vilky has been written quite well and Abhiroop has done justice to the role.
- The short film does not neglect the various aspects of autism such as fidgeting, repetitive actions and sentences, little eye contact, and the like.
- The tension is kept high throughout, despite the various turns and diversions in the conversation. The cat, Boney, and the parrot, Raymond, keep making appearances every now and then, and despite the innocence of these animals, it adds a somewhat eerie feel to the scene – as if they’re some wild animals ready to thrust their claws into you.
- The dialogues seem to be foreshadowing something, and then creating a doubt whether it really indicates something or not, which enhances the kept-intact mystery till the twist at the end. Several questions can be raised during the entire course of the short film, and they make you think.
- The twist, itself, is quite surprising. You don’t really expect for it to come out the way it did. However, the final end is left open to thought, and somehow, it seems better that way.
- There’s nothing wrong with the short film.
A murder mystery that keeps the thrill-level high and delivers a twist in a clever manner.
- Brijendra Kala has worked in several films such as Dasvidaniya, Agneepath, Jolly LLB 1 & 2, Rustom, Bioscopewala, Netflix’s Love per Square Foot, as well as the Shahrukh Khan-starrer Zero.
Short Film Link: https://www.voot.com/shows/shortcuts/1/749303/grey/753137
Also Read: Bouma: Short Film Review