Inside Edge : Web Series Review
Cast: Vivek Oberoi, Richa Chadha, Angad Bedi, Tanuj Virwani, Siddhant Chaturvedi, Amit Sial
Director: Karan Oberoi
Genre: Drama, Sport
Channel: Amazon Prime Video India
Release Date:10 July 2017
Synopsis: Set in the landscape of the power-hungry world of sports, Inside Edge revolves around the Mumbai Mavericks team – a part of PPL (Power play T20 League). This fast-paced series follows the twists, turns, and revelations in the lives of powerful players and characters as they reveal the game behind the game. Inside Edge’ is a pacy tale that captures the world of cricket and entertainment.
- Well-defined characters from the protagonists to the supporting roles and excellent performances that pack a punch from the word go
- The narrative has been treated no less than a film and strikes the right balance between being dramatic and sensationalist.
- The screenplay is pacy and the thrill factor dominates the narrative, leaving the audience wanting more
- Every episode has an interesting cliff-hanger that will compel you to watch the next episode. The show is totally binge-worthy and one can’t stop at one episode.
- Each character has a credible, unique personality and voice, and is provided with a well-designed personal arc. Hence the viewer feels invested in the character’s journey
- Many real-world events blended naturally into the story and one can’t help but decipher parallels between real-life people upon whom certain characters in the story are based on
- Vivek Oberoi has overacted and overdone is part of the evil, megalomaniac co-owner of Mumbai Mavericks. The actor could have brought out the character way better had he not been mouthing scathingly malevolent lines and instead toned down his performance
- Certain twists can be predicted since they have been executed in a haphazard manner, leaving a lot to answer
- The show entirely relies on English as its primary language and there are no Hindi subtitles to go alongside. Hence, it feels unbecoming when mouthed by certain actors and the lack of comfort with the language comes through.
Inside Edge makes for an enjoyable viewing experience if you love watching typical Madhur Bhandarkar-ish glamour-crime dramas and the nail-biting suspense offers a thrilling watch, albeit with some overused plot devices here and there.
- Inside Edge is the web debut of Tanuj Virvani, Vivek Oberoi, and Richa Chaddha.
- It is India’s first Amazon Original web series.
- Angad Bedi who plays Captain Arvind Vashisth is the son of a very famous Indian cricketer Bishan Singh Bedi, who was part of India’s 1983 World Cup triumph.
Also Read: The Test Case: Web Series Review