Khujli : Short Film Review
Cast: Neena Gupta, Jackie Shroff, Rani Patwar, Archak Chhabra
Director: Sonam Nair
Channel: TTT (Terribly Tiny Talkies)
Release Date: 31 March 2017
Synopsis: Girdharilal and Roopmati, an elderly couple, try to spice things up in the bedroom after spotting a handcuff that belongs to their son. It turns out to be a fun day in the normal mundane lives of a housewife and her husband. Khujli is the story of an old itch in the lives of a couple in their twilight years, who want to break away from monotony and explore sexual fantasies and desires in their bedroom.
- Neena Gupta and Jackie Shroff steal the show with their fine pairing and give wonderfully relaxed performances, and seem completely at home with the quirky concept; never once making us uncomfortable with the idea of a middle-aged couple trying kink! Their onscreen chemistry is fantastic!
- Despite its adult theme, not once does the film go down the off-putting cringy path. The couple struggles with emulating a desi ‘50 Shades of Grey’ give us the giggles in just the right instances. And we have fun all throughout, as much as they do, themselves!
- The best part of the film is that there are no punches delivered and the characters don’t try to be funny! The ironical situation and clever dialogue delivery along with the apt and spot-on usage of quirky background score give a hilarious film that is laced with subtle humor.
- The symbolic use of the granny in the most unusual instances, especially where she is least needed, is like icing on the cake.
- Nothing. There’s no reason why you should be missing this one!
Khujli is bold, funny and unique. This short will make you laugh, smile and giggle, all at the same time! Highly recommended stuff!
- Neena Gupta and Jackie Shroff were the first choices for the film and both of them readily agreed to be a part of the film.
- Sonam Nair, the director of Khujli, has previously directed Gippy, a Dharma Productions’ movie and has served as an AD for SaatKhoonMaaf (2011) and Wake Up Sid (2009)
- Jackie Shroff won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor (Male) in a Short Film for his stint in Khujli.
Also Read: Visa: Short Film Review