Mandi: Short Film Review
Cast: Kailash Waghmare, Shrikant Yadav, Nihaal Joshi, Meenakshi Rathod.
Director: Yashowardhan Mishra.
Channel: Kunal Kamra (YouTube).
Release Date: 19th June 2019.
A farmer is on his way to sell his share of onion harvest in the local market. His young son, against his protests, gets on the truck to venture in the city. Once they reach the market, the kid is introduced to the fascinating yet unfair reality, which leaves him and the audience ready to rage against it.
- India- a country of villages and farmers. Farmer suicide has been an issue prevalent in the country for a long time. Inspired by one such true incident, Mandi revolves around a poor farmer who is the victim of the ruthless trade practices of the market, turning in his precious onions in return for nothing- 1,000 kilogram of onions traded for zero money in return.
- Mandi is the most straight and simple piece that is raw and powerful in its portrayal. The helplessness of the farmer and the outrage of the kid upon seeing his father cry, is a paradox that you feel within your bones, and a reflection of your own feelings.
- There’s a saying in Marathi that means “Who’ll cry for the one’s that die daily?” Majority of Indians have become desensitized and lukewarm towards the issue, over the years, due to consistency of it. It’s heart-breaking to think that the provider of the most basic necessity of this country is suffering because of some money-hungry middlemen. Mandi shoves us back into the skin where we are forced to notice, address and reflect on the grave issue.
- The character performance by each and every actor is epitome of perfection; not once do you feel that the film is a cinematic representation. It is real, in every sense of the word.
- The stark cinematography that showcases the allure and the ugliness of the city aptly without any error, supported by the equally heartrending background score, makes the short film an emotional and wholesome experience.
- Not a single thing.
Mandi is an unflinching and fierce piece of reality that will jerk you out of your state of ignorance. A MUST watch.
- Mandi was first showcased at the 19th Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Festival and won the Excellence in Digital Content Silver
- The short film was premiered on digital by the stand-up comedian Kunal Kamra, who shared it on his YouTube channel to spread it among the masses.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: Sex, Drugs & Theatre: Web Series Review