Masterpiece: Short Film Review
Cast: Akshay Oberoi, Simrat Kaur.
Director: Rajeev Barnwal.
Genre: Drama, Thriller.
Channel: Large Short Films (YouTube).
Release Date: 24th June 2019.
Abheek is an artist in pursuit of his masterpiece. One day as he is sitting in a café, a girl- Baani– catches his attention and he starts sketching her. Baani catches him in his act, and the brief spat turns into a deep friendship. One encounter leads to many more, and their relationship takes a surprising twist when Abheek asks her permission to paint her and she says yes.
- Masterpiece is one thrilling ride that you don’t realize you’re on- the story seems simple and innocent enough, but you know something ominous is lurking- ready to pounce- but when it does, you’re anything but prepared. Persisting through the film, the climax rewards your patience handsomely.
- Akshay Oberoi steals the show with his spectacular performance. From the yearning to paint the blank canvas with a masterpiece- to the point of being haunted by it and having nightmares- to unveiling the hidden psychopath beneath, never once does Akshay lose his connection with his character Abheek.
- The background score perfectly adapts to the romantic and thrilling sequences with apt music, adding tones to the film. The original song, sung by Sujeet Shetty and Aastha Jagiasi’s lyrics, towards the end is truly enchanting with its lilting notes.
- One thing you notice right from the beginning is the overdone color correction. The sepia tint almost throughout the film majorly affects the viewing experience.
- For the good storyline, Masterpiece’s execution, editing and supporting characters’ performances, hold it back from being what its name entails. You wait for that defining, shock-and-awe moment, and it does arrive at the end, but it simultaneously makes you question if it was worth it.
Masterpiece kicks off and wraps up satisfyingly, slacking in the middle.
- Masterpiece marks director Rajeev Barnwal as well as actor Simrat Kaur’s debut in the Web Entertainment.
- Akshay Oberoi has been previously featured in many short films such as The Virgins, Baby Steps, and Smart Phone, among others.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: That Man In The Picture: Short Film Review