Maya: Short Film Review
Cast: Abir Chatterjee, Padmapriya, Raju Raman.
Director: Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury.
Language: Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, English.
Genre: Romance, Drama.
Channel: Large Short Films (YouTube).
Release Date: 19 December 2018.
Synopsis: The short film ‘Maya’, set in the early 90s during the liberalization period, witnesses a story of two individuals – A shy, quiet, and traditional young man, Anjan, who falls in love with the modern and free-spirited Maya, the daughter of his piano teacher. Anjan decides to approach and impresses Maya over a series of phone calls, not as himself but posing as a mysterious stranger.
- The short film has efficiently brought out the quintessential 1990s on the screen with the costumes, the setting, and the paraphernalia.
- Abir Chatterjee and Padmapriya have done a great job with a successful portrayal of the personally shells that their characters reside in. Abir’s portrayal of the duality of his character, the one face-to-face with Maya and the one on the phone calls, is commendable.
- The direction, the cinematography, and the background music perfectly set the mood of blossoming love and a hopeful romance.
- Various questions are intentionally or unintentionally, directly or indirectly, raised through this short film. To what extent will you change yourself just to fit into the idea of your love’s perfect man/woman? Will you ever be truly happy with the identity you adopt? How long will the façade last? Is it truly ‘love’ if the person cannot accept you as your original self?
- Although it employs the same ‘opposites attract’ trope of romance, its uniqueness of style, story, setting, and character development, makes it a pleasant watch.
- Despite lasting for 17 minutes, the story at a few moments does feel a slightly rushed and seems to end abruptly. However, it still does manage to make sense.
Maya is a quintessential 90s tale of love and hopeful romance with a simple yet prudent conclusion.
- Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury received a National Film Award for his film, Antaheen. He is also the director of the Amitabh Bachchan-starrer film, Pink.
- Abir Chatterjee is a popular Bengali actor known for his roles in films like Byomkesh Bakshi, Feluda, and The Royal Bengal Tiger. He was also a part of the 2012 Hindi film, Kahaani.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: Autumn Leaf: Short Film Review