Rangbaaz: Web Series Review
Cast: Saqib Saleem, Aahana Kumra, Ranvir Shorey, Tigmanshu Dhulia, Ravi Kishan.
Director: Bhav Dhulia.
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller, Action, Romance.
Release Date: 22 December 2018.
Synopsis: Rangbaaz, set in the 1990s, tells the tale of a young man from Gorakhpur, Shiv Prakash Shukla, who enters the dark and gritty world of crime after an incident with his sister, and ends up becoming one of the most feared gangsters of the region.
- Rangbaaz revolves around a criminal’s life, and hence, action scenes in the story are expected. The makers of the show have done a great job at maintaining a perfect balance on screen, neither going overboard with the action nor downplaying it.
- Saqib Saleem is brilliant in his role as Shiv Prakash Shukla. He gives a solid performance throughout the entire arc of his character – from the scared young man to a feared gangster.
- The premise of Rangbaaz promised to show the humane side of the gangster, and the show keeps its promise. The way Shiv Prakash is depicted will make it hard for you to despise his character, and at times, will also make you root for him
- Rangbaaz brings the 90s to the screen and does it in a well-crafted and convincing manner. It also introduces you to the politics, police, and crime nexus that existed then (and still does), as well as the caste fissures in the Hindi Belt.
- The story and the screenplay move at a perfect pace, without feeling rushed or exhaustingly slow. The political drama, the mystery, the chase, and the gunfights are the centerpieces that make it an enthralling watch.
- Although Aahana Kumra’s character, Babita, rarely comes face to face with her on-screen lover i.e., Shiv Prakash (Saqib Saleem), the chemistry between the two can be easily felt and definitely adds layers to the latter’s personality.
- Tigmanshu Dhulia and Ravi Kishan, both deliver flawless performances as cunning politicians who stay on the sidelines and let others get their hands dirty for them. Ranvir Shorey, too, gives a credible performance as the police officer hell-bent on bringing Shiv Prakash to justice.
- The storyline follows a non-linear format, which makes it a little confusing in the initial episodes. However, you will soon get adjusted to it. Other than that, there are no faults in this web series.
Rangbaaz is perfectly-paced entertainment and thrill that maintains a decent balance in each one of its aspects.
- Rangbaaz is actor Saqib Saleem’s debut on the digital space. The actor has been a part of films like Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge, Mere Dad Ki Maruti, Dil Juunglee, as well as Race 3.
- Aahana Kumra has been a part of web series like Inside Edge, Official Chukyagiri, It Happened In Hong Kong, and Ready 2 Mingle. She was also a part of the critically acclaimed film, Lipstick Under My Burkha.
Watch The Trailer Here:
Also Read: Dil Dosti Daftar: Web Series Review