Holding Back: Short Film Review
Cast: Seema Biswas, Anant Mahadevan, Kunal Kumar, Pradeep Patwardhan, and Jaywant Wadkar.
Director: Wilson Louis.
Channel: Pocket Films (YouTube).
Release Date: 2nd November.
Holding Back is based on a true story that took place in 1999. Shiv Kumar, ailing from cancer is fighting a failing battle; his mother and father being the bystanders of the casualty. This helplessness has made the mother unbearably sensitive and emotional to Shiv’s every need, fussing and worrying over his health. The parents are trying their best to save their son any pain than its necessary. In midst of it all there’s a wedding function, which Shiv goes to attend with his mother and cousin. What happens during the train journey changes the mother’s perspective completely.
- The stellar and veteran cast, every single one of them, does perfect justice to their assigned character, making it an engaging watch.
- The concept, at first glance, might seem cliché and mainstream, but the execution of the plot makes it unique and worth a watch.
- The background music compliments the plot, flowing along with all the highs and lows finely.
- Apart from improving the dubbing and cinematography at certain scenes, the whole short film is a piece of brilliance.
An emotional, dramatic take on mother’s dedication and fierceness, the film is worth a watch.
- Holding Back was nominated for the Filmfare under Best Short Film category in 2017.
- Seema Biswas has won the National Award for her role of Phoolan Devi in the legendary film, Bandit Queen.
- Anant Mahadevan received the National Award for the Best Screenplay and Dialogues for his Marathi movie Mee Sindhutai Sakpal.
Watch the Short Film Here:
Also Read: Waterbaby: Short Film Review