Kanika: Short Film Review
Cast: Nidhi Bisht, Ruhi Khan.
Director: Pranav Bhasin.
Genre: Thriller, Drama.
Channel: Girliyapa (YouTube).
Release Date: 23rd November 2018.
Girliyapa, the leading women-centric entertainment platform on YouTube, released Kanika, a short film centered on child sexual abuse. The short starts with a woman (Nidhi Bisht) going through the Mumbai suburbs, narrating a story of an eloped girl in love. The bits and pieces mentioned about the guy she’s seeing paint a picture of happily ever after, but the end leaves you reeling in shock and aghast.
- From the first moment till the last, the story grips the viewers with its narration and cinematic shots. It maintains the wistful, mysterious vibe throughout the story, delivering the ‘shock-and-awe hit’ at the end.
- The use of metaphorical subtext to enhance the plot is extraordinarily simple yet effectively powerful, for e.g. the faceless man shown at the end or the dialogue “Kaise dikhta hain?”, “Mujhe malum nahi, sabke jaise”.
- Bonus points for attention to detail. When the suspense is unveiled, it doesn’t feel as if it came out of left field. Small signs throughout the story all indicate and contribute to the conclusion in a subtle manner.
- The story perfectly puts forward both the art and craft of the cinema sublimely.
- No negative aspects, in fact it couldn’t have been any better.
A powerful, realistic take on child abuse, it’s definitely worth a watch.
- Kanika is Girliyapa’s first short film, released under the #GirliyapaCine in association with EnterDLP video production house.
- Nidhi Bisht, the prominent face on and off screen on both The Viral Fever (TVF) and Girliyapa, was seen in the movie Umrika and Phillauri.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: Waterbaby: Short Film Review