Rogan Josh: Short Film Review
Cast: Naseeruddin Shah, Avantika Akerkar, Shishir Sharma, Shriswara, Bhuvan Arora, Khushboo Upadhyay, Nikhil Pandey, and Preet Bhanushali.
Director: Sanjeev Vig.
Genre: Mystery, Drama.
Channel: Large Short Films.
Release Date: 26th November 2018.
On the occasion of Vijay Kapoor’s, a chef from the Taj hotels, 65th birthday, the family and friends come together for the chef’s specialty Rogan Josh, celebrating his birthday with a dinner. The perfect dinner is filled with anecdotes from the past and unveiling of some uncomfortable truths. This revelation takes an unexpected turn at the end, leaving the viewers baffled and giving an invaluable lesson on life and time.
- Another brilliant offering from Royal Stag Barrel’s Large Short Films, Rogan Josh is an exceptional tributary piece on the terror attack on Mumbai, the infamous 26/11.
- The storytelling accompanied by small gestures such as the stopped clock, characters expression and the background score sets the somber and mystified atmosphere from the beginning.
- Hats off to all the actors for nailing the characters right in, never letting the tight rope of suspense hang loose throughout the plot.
- The subtle and perfect way in which terrorism and its effect are portrayed is praise-worthy.
- The depiction of the alternate universe (AU) of Vijay Kapoor is portrayed in such a quintessential manner, viewers are left in dilemma of what to believe and what not to. Also the merging of reality with the AU at the end, brilliant.
- “…and life goes on, even after it’s over”, the message portrayed at the end sums up the whole short film flawlessly.
- It can take a few minutes to register what exactly is going on in the end, but it’s all worth it.
A bittersweet take on terror activities and its consequences, Rogan Josh is definitely worth a watch.
- Naseeruddin Shah, prior to Rogan Josh, was seen in 3 other short films of Large Short Films namely Interior Café, Pinjra and Skin of Marble.
- Shriswara and Shishir Sharma both were seen in two different and successful web series. Shriswara starred in ALTBalaji’s The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family while Shishir was seen in What The Folks’ Season 2.
- Rogan Josh is Sanjeev Vig’s first short film; he has been associate/ assistant director for movies such as Go Goa Gone, Naam Shabana and Ragini MMS 2.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: You and I : Short Film Review