The Playboy Mr. Sawhney: Review
Cast: Jackie Shroff, Arjan Bajwa, Tahir Raj Bhasin, Divya Dutta, Neetu Chandra, Manjari Fadnis, Pitobash, Samir Kochhar, and Sudhir Mishra.
Director: Tariq Naveb Siddiqui.
Language: Hindi, Urdu.
Genre: Romantic Drama.
Channel: Large Short Films.
Release Date: October 24th, 2018.
Some films you watch, and some films you absorb with your heart. The Playboy Mr. Sawhney falls in the latter category. An outstanding piece of art and craft, the short film focuses on Arun Sawhney (Tahir Raj Bhasin), a young man who is going through some relationship crisis who goes to his grandfather, Yashpal Sawhney (Jackie Shroff), for advice. Old and wise Mr. Sawhney starts to encounter his love-affairs from the past to his grandson, cruising through his reputation as a playboy, which takes the viewers on an interestingly introspective and wistful journey of love and life.
- Jackie Shroff woos the viewers with his reckless playboy persona still underlying his ‘wise old man’ character, and sigh-worthy shayaris.
- The light and music creates an aesthetic background to the storyline.
- 26 minutes might seem too long when you glance at the time, but once you start watching it, the characters weave you into the story with themselves and voila! the film is over before you even know it.
- The horde of characters blends seamlessly, contributing to the tale, rather than making it look like separate divisions.
- Rather than being a preachy grandfather-grandson interaction, it maintains to be entertaining and contemplative.
- It has a nice filmy, dramatic touch to it, without being dense.
- There are absolutely no negative points as to why you should not watch it.
To understand a) how sometimes love isn’t enough, and sometimes it just is and b) how there is more to a person than meets the eye, The Playboy Mr. Sawhney is the perfect example wrapped up in a long-short film.
- Both Jackie Shroff and Manjiri Phadnnis have worked in two award-winning short films Khujli and Khamakha, respectively.
- Tahir Raj Bhasin is currently working under Sajid Nadiadwala’s banner with Sushant Singh Rajput and Shraddha Kapoor for the comedy movie Chhichhore.
- The Playboy Mr. Sawhney marks Tariq Siddiqui’s directorial debut in the industry.
Also Read: Ashish Vidyarthi’s Kahanibaaz- Review