Social : Web Series Review
Cast: Naveen Kasturia, Priya Banerjee, Rana Daggubati, Moin Khan, Abdul Razzaq
Director: Shashi Sudigala
Genres: Crime, Drama
Language: Hindi, Telugu, English
Release Date: Sep 8, 2017
Synopsis: Social is a crime drama that is centered on the dark side of technology. When Prithvi’s sister goes missing, he and his friends dig deeper, only to unravel a larger conspiracy involving a social media firm headed by ‘Social’ headed by Vikram Sampath. How they together solve the mystery around her disappearance form the crux of the story. The web series is a message for all young audiences out there to be careful about whom they choose to display their personal lives to social media platforms.
- Social has an interesting story to boast of and has the right mix of elements to present a mystery thriller.
- The highlight of the series is Naveen Kasturia as he channels his character really well and you resonate with his emotions. The supporting actors too are good in their respective parts.
- The suspense is woven into the narrative really well and piques our curiosity about what happened next. The hacking scene is also executed to perfection.
- The background score is interesting and brings out the right pace for the series. It doesn’t distract from the proceedings if the show.
- Although the show is marketed as being centered on Rana Daggubatti, we don’t see much of him on the screen.
- Social falls short in technical aspects. The camerawork, the editing and sound mixing are average and deviate from the pace that a crime thriller needs.
- The dubbing needs improvement and looks forced.
If you’re a sucker for good crime thrillers that centered on the ill effects of technology, watch Social as it’ll keep you hooked to your seat. However don’t go in there expecting spectacular performances or special effects such as the western counterparts. It’s pretty average in those departments.
Also Read: What the Folks: Web Series Review