Sparsh: Short Film Review
Cast: Kay Kay Menon, Prashant Narayanan, Puja Gupta, Mishal Raheja, Asmmita Bakshi, Sabyasachi Mishra.
Director: Ankoosh Bhatt.
Channel: Large Short Films (YouTube).
Release Date: 6th March 2019.
Abhijeet Shelar is a police inspector, who, on a regular night, gets a harassment case, where a girl complaints about a cab driver of inappropriate touching. When Inspector Shelar gets to the core of it, the truth leaves him and the viewers with a conflict of interest- what is the truth?
- The opening credits of the film start with a quote, “You can put humans into the society, but you can’t put society into humans”. Sparsh, A Touch of Humanity, is a film that encompasses the wide spectrum that is humanity, and how everyday life and society’s stereotypical perceptions affect it. It raises the question of what is right and wrong, moral and immoral.
- It explores various topics such as the craze and addiction of social media, the insecurity minor communities feel in our country, inappropriate staring, mental pressure, the misuse of women leverage, among many others- all topics that make you feel uncomfortable but are the harsh truth around us.
- Kay Kay Menon plays a character where he is tired of the law enforcement and its major greyness, and is taking a voluntary retirement. Kay Kay, through his posture and expressions, portrays the character so well, making you feel connected to him, on a level.
- Another thing that comes to notice is the girls’ attire. The girl who makes the complaint is all dressed in white, while the girl who is called as a witness present at the scene, is dressed in black. Both their characters, on the other hand, are exact opposite of what their dress color represent.
- The plot is very complex, in a way that makes you question your preconceived beliefs and notions regarding what is right and wrong. It can be unsettling for some; which is, actually, a mark of a brilliant film.
An intricate take on reality, portrayed in a powerful way. Definitely worth a watch.
- Ankoosh Bhatt has previously directed the short film Smart Phone, and is also directing a movie, Firrkie, which also stars Kay Kay Menon.
- Sparsh marks Puja Gupta’s debut into the web world; she has starred in movies such as F.A.L.T.U, Go Goa Gone, Hate Story 3, among others.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: AUN: Short Film Review