The Embrace: Short Film Review
Cast: Sunny Kaushal, Ruchi Malviya, Kaizaad Kotwal, Abhishek Pandey, Kiran Khoje, Sanyogita Bhave, and Prashant Dilip Kalunke.
Director: Veena Bakshi.
Channel: Humaramovie (YouTube).
Release Date: 12th March 2019.
Siddharth and Shalaka are a newly married couple living in a middle-class, small house with a joint family. Personal space is a foreign concept where everyone can witness your every moment. For love to bloom and intimacy to be shared, the couple try to find places or ways that afford them that one loving embrace. Will they?
- A slice-of-life-story, The Embrace explores romance with a different perspective. For a middle class couple, living in a joint family, privacy is a big feat. Being intimate doesn’t come easy. We are easy to ridicule people at public places being intimate, and this film offers a new viewpoint into one such couple.
- The love and warmth a home provides doesn’t have to be affected by its size. The protagonists of the film live in a cramped home that doesn’t have many walls and spacious rooms, but it has a heart that encompasses all. The Embrace portrays this in a sweet way, with an incident, that will leave a smile on your face and laughing along with the characters.
- Siddharth and Shalaka’s quest of finding their bubble in the world proves that love sneaks in at the most unexpected moments, creating its peaceful corner in the chaos, if you just let it.
- Sunny Kaushal and Ruchi Malviya portray their roles, as Siddharth and Shalaka respectively, with such grace and perfection, that you can’t help but relate to their characters. They do justice to the simplistic characters, without blowing it out of proportions. The supporting actors add life to the story, as well, contributing to it in a subtle yet effective way.
- The film establishes a firm place setting, right from the beginning, with quick shots of the fast, crowded city, that acts as a base for the main plotline.
- Not a thing.
A realistically beautiful story that will leave you with a smile and warmth. Worth a watch.
- The Embrace has been nominated for the Filmfare 2019, under the Short Films Category, among 34 other short films such as Plus Minus, Udne Do, Laddoo, etc.
- Veena Bakshi has won National Film Award for Best Feature Film in English for her movie The Coffin Maker starring Naseeruddin Shah.
- Kaizaad Kotwal, who plays the father, can be seen in web series such as ALTBalaji’s Haq Se and Netflix’s Sacred Games. He even made cameo appearances in Netflix’s international series Sense8.
Watch The Short Film Here:
Also Read: Autumn Leaf: Short Film Review