Untag : Web Series Review
Cast: Anjali Anand, Meiyang Chang, Dipannita Sharma, VJ Andy, Naveen Polishetty
Director: Ashima Chibber
Genres: Drama, Comedy, Romance
Release Date: January 04, 2017
Synopsis: Untag revolves around the lives of 6 individuals; their dreams, aspirations and struggles, each dealing with a tax imposed on them- certain labels which the society puts on them judgmentally. The series is the journey of these individuals as they try to become much more than what the world has labeled them. The story embodies the thought—‘You’re different, you’re better than the tag you’ve been given’
- The show also seems very well-paced with the episode perfectly utilizing its runtime to keep the viewers engaged and entertained.
- The writing is fresh and ably supported by some fine performances from all actors.
- Kudos to the team for a balanced and mature portrayal of homosexuality without the ubiquitous lewd treatment that it often gets. Meiyang Chang and Navin Polishetty, both enacting different psyches in relation to their characters, shine throughout.
- The dialogues are casually witty without seeming dramatic and give a lived-in appeal to the proceedings.
- The camaraderie between Shikha (Anjali Anand) and Nischay (Meiyang Chang) is endearing.
- The way Shikha is told that she needs to stop hating herself and realize her inner beauty and how Nischay gets accepted by parents – are the highlight scenes of the web series.
- Dipannita Sharma’ character is half-baked. The same applies to VJ Andy’s character that seems completely unnecessary that is added only to include an effeminate, bitchy caricature to the narrative.
Untag makes for a refreshing watch with equally engaging performances. Binge- watch this one in one go for a feel-good feeling that not many shows leave you with!
- Viacom18’s OTT platform Voot was awarded as ‘Winner of the Best Apps of 2016’ (India) across categories by Google Play.
- This is director Ashima Chibber’s second web series after last year’s fun and quirky Y-Films show, Ladies Room.
Also Read: Humorously Yours: Web Series Review