The Other Way : Short Film Review
Cast: Pavail Gulati, Shreya Choudhary
Director: Imtiaz Ali
Channel: Large Short Films
Release Date: 08 December 2017
Synopsis: The Other Way short film starts on a note about “time”. The story, to be blunt is about a bride’s last-moment casual/sexual affair with a man she met two days ago. The story starts on a confusing note, showing the irrational awkwardness between the bride and a man who claims to be a photographer. They then take you back and forth time to narrate the equation between the two.
- The narration is beautiful. The voice that leads you through the story is on point.
- The development of the story at every step is unexpected and does keep you on the edge.
- The scenes are beautiful. (hmm)
- The story leads you nowhere and leaves you somewhere.
- If this is about the pre-wedding cold-feet, then it’s dramatically underplayed.
- The story almost gets you to believe that maybe they will let you into the dimensions of characters, but whatsoever leaves you on a confusing note over and over again.
- The light heated adultery (almost) is a little glorified here. The mere lack of justifications in the story and the way it ends is just incomplete.
- Poor groom. He’s cute.
Bottom-line: Given that it’s written and directed by Imtiaz Ali, there’s scope for a deeper meaning you don’t see. But you really don’t see that point. So…But watch The Other Way. It’s nice and light-hearted or so we hope.
Also Read: The Second Home: Short Film Review