Minus One: Web Series Review
Just Human Things’ Minus One is a story of Riya and Varun- friends, exes, and roommates. Here’s what makes this uniquely bizarre story work.
Cast: Ayush Mehra, Aisha Ahmed, Faiz Khan, Kashyap Kapoor, Rytasha Rathore, Kira Narayanan, Abhinav Verma, Ivan Rodrigues.
Director: Shubham Yogi.
Channel: Just Human Things (YouTube).
Release Date: 12th September 2019.
Riya (Ayush Mehra) and Varun (Aisha Ahmed)- former lovers, now exes. But one thing remains unchanged- they lived together before, and they live together still, even after their break-up. Even after they are comfortable with the situation, people in their lives are not. Will this affect their precariously balanced relationship and tip it over or will they stick to their comfort?
- The first-ever web series of the newly created Just Human Things, Minus One creates a benchmark and makes its presence known in a firm yet endearing manner. With a storyline that screams ‘This is bizarre’, the series stands out for its easy camaraderie with unique and comfortably familiar.
- Ayush and Aisha majorly contribute in making the series stick with you instantly by making Varun and Riya come alive on screen. Their silly banters, unconditional understanding, quick anger bouts, and even quicker laughs have a flow that only exists in relationships that have seen the better and worse of it all. Ayush and Aisha make it happen naturally with their dynamic screen presence.
- Apart from these two, another character that grabs your heart is Tripathi ji, played by Faiz Khan. The quirky landowner leaves his impression in the few shots he gets with his poker-faced hilarity and a ‘know-it-all’ serene smile.
- Every episode starts with a throwback from when Riya and Varun were in a relationship, relating that sequence with the present, giving depth to the story.
- What makes Minus One stand out is the absence of the obvious and clichés. You think, and even hope, that Riya and Varun might get back together, but they don’t, and it doesn’t disappoint you. Their untraditional situation works, rather they make it work, for themselves and the audience without resorting to the timeworn scripts.
- In the initial episodes, the camera work seems a little unsteady, but other than that there’s nothing that should keep you from watching Minus One.
Minus One is a sweet, slice-of-life story of love and friendship that is so different than anything ever-present on Web.
- Just Human Things was founded in August 2019 by Sidhanta Mathur of Writeous Studios.
- Shubham Yogi has previously directed short films such as Suno, Uninvited, Glitch, among others works.
Watch The First Episode Here:
Also Read: Mom & Co.: Web Series Review