Smoke: Web Series Review
Cast: Jim Sarbh, Tom Alter, Kalki Koechlin, Mandira Bedi, Amit Sial, Satyadeep Mishra, Prakash Belawadi, Gulshan Devaiah, Girish Kulkarni.
Director: Neel Guha.
Genre: Crime, Thriller, Drama.
Channel: Eros Now.
Release Date: 26th October 2018.
Eros Now’s new crime thriller offering, Smoke, concentrates on the ugly, corrupt underbelly of the gaudy, flamboyant Goa. The story follows the crime lords of Goa, Bhau (local mafia) and Moshe Barak (Russian kingpin), whose drug cartel is threatened when two of their dealers are found dead, making it to headlines. To keep the peace, Moshe decides to strike a deal with the rival gang, the Dumans, but then realizes a lot of other cartels are eager to grab a piece of Goa’s drug pie. The series progresses as Barak and his men are dealt with one hit after another, from both the rivals and the police.
- Smoke seems to follow the Goan susegad theme- a slow paced, lax storyline to perfection, complementing the location and the story.
- Gulshan Devaiah, Jim Sarbh, Amit Sial and Mandira Bedi’s characters outshine among the humongous cast.
- The background score, alternating between psychedelic and mysterious, sets off a perfect ambiance to the plot.
- The storyline is unnecessarily stretched too thin and too long, losing the taut line a story should mention in order to engage the audience. It also seems like an effort to catch up with Netflix’s Sacred Games and Amazon Prime’s upcoming Mirzapur.
- There is a horde of unnecessary characters, which lack any substantial role and just exist in the background, without any major contribution to the plot.
- Considering the genre, the plot seems to lack the shock-and-awe moment that makes a thriller, specifically a crime thriller, effective.
If you are looking for a light crime thriller to pass time, Smoke is the perfect option for you.
- Smoke marks Mandira Bedi’s debut into the web entertainment.
- Tom Alter, who plays Moshe Barak in the series, passed away shortly after the series was filmed.
- Smokewas premiered at the global entertainment content market MIPCOM 2018 in Cannes, France, on 15th October 2018, under the category ‘Made in India Originals.’
Watch The Trailer Here:
ALSO READ: Engineering Girls: Web Series Review